Saturday 11 July 2015

Teaching Modern Math

"One of the biggest challenges for teachers is trying to teach mathematics in ways they did not experience as students" (Literacy and Numeracy Secretariat, 2010b)

Boy is this quote accurate!  As someone who did well in math because she was a great memorizer/robot, I really struggle with the new problem solving/inquiry approach to teaching and learning math.  However, here are a couple things that have helped me along my math journey:

1.  Finding an outstanding math mentor
I am very fortunate to be working alongside a grade partner who is exceptional when it comes to teaching math.  He has been extremely helpful in encouraging me to try new approaches and not revert back to my old ways without being pushy.  Reflecting on my year, I'm sure there were times that I taught math in ways which would have driven him nuts, but having his support and guidance was instrumental in my own learning.

2.  Using new resources
It's hard to revert back to old practice when you are using resources that don't let you!  For example, I found that using strings and Fosnot lessons really set me on the right track for teaching math in new ways.  While I admit that there were days when I taught using old methods, the majority of my math periods were done in a way I can feel proud.  Another new resource that I dabbled with this year was MinecraftEdu.  My only regret is that I hadn't gotten on board with it sooner!  What an incredible way to let students engage with math and explore in a context and world that they connect with.

3.  Ongoing Professional Development
I still have a lot to learn.  While I have made some good leaps with my math program, I am aware that I still have a lot of questions and unknowns when it comes to teaching with new approaches.  I am looking to connect myself to more math communities where I can participate as someone who is willing and open to trying new things in order to learn from the best.

Image result for math

No comments:

Post a Comment